Saturday 24 October 2015

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige [Book Review]


So on my annual birthday trip to Waterstones (yep, I've aged once again!) I finally picked up a copy of Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige. I've wanted it for ages, it was a floppy paperback and it was in the 'Buy One Get One Half' price deal so I wasn't NOT going to pick it up! The concept of this novel has always intrigued me; it's about the series of events following on from where Frank L. Baum's 'The Wizard of Oz' left us, but instead of Oz living in a tranquil state where Dorothy goes back to Kansas, Dorothy is back and she's evil.

Amy Baum, an unsuspecting 16 year old who lives in a trailer with a very problematic mother and a pet rat is transported to Oz and is basically told that Dorothy MUST Die, no matter the cost. So not only has Amy left her old life to Oz of all places, she has now been assigned with the task of killing Dorothy by all Wicked characters who are left in Oz - who see it in their best interest to get Dorothy and her murderous ways off the throne. It doesn't help that Dorothy has manipulated her loyal companions, The Tin Woodman, The Scarecrow, The Lion and even Glinda the Good Witch to do her evil bidding, using the gifts the Wizard blessed them with to do unspeakable horrors to the inhabitants of Oz.

I thought this was a very fast paced read, it was a bit slow in certain places which is why it didn't get the full 5 stars from me, but other than that I thought this was a superb take on a very well known world and I'm quite excited to read the sequel - especially due to the fact it ended on a very satisfying cliffhanger!!

4 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment