Monday 3 August 2015

Jakob's Colours by Lindsay Hawdon [Review]



[I was very kindly sent this book by Hodder & Stoughton in return for an honest review, thank you!]

Jakob's Colours focuses around an event during WW2 that no one ever really mentions - the Romany Holocaust. I was intrigued by this title as I have read many books about Hitler, be it with characters from within the Nazis or those opposing them. But there are hardly any stories written about the amount of Romany Gypsies killed or sent to concentration camps during this time.

What makes this book so heartwrenching is that Jakob is a child. He is a gypsy and he is alone. There are consistent flashbacks to how his parents met, how their destinies entwined so deeply and passionately that they chose love over luxury, and this in itself makes this novel have two plotlines...the story of Jakob's parents, and Jakob's story himself as he is saved by strangers. Saved by strangers whose lives are in danger but see a young boy and automatically help.

I was pulled in so many different directions by this book, I was either smiling at the love between the characters or feeling destroyed because of the tragedies in their lives. I felt my heart in my mouth when the Nazis were approaching and I pretty much let out a victory cry whenever success neared.

This book not only gave me an impression of a near untold era of history, it also made me understand just how important selflessness and care can be. Whilst the enemy may appear to be the strongest entity, the true strength and beauty is in that of the altruism between complete strangers.


No comments:

Post a Comment